The thinning of the scalp is of great concern to many people today. The main factors in its occurrence are age, stress, diet and heredity. Androgenetic alopecia is the most common cause of hair loss in both sexes.
There are many ways of treating hair loss which are divided into conservative treatment and surgical treatment. Conservative treatment includes treatment through medication. Minoxidil has received approval from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of hair loss. It has the effect of prolonging hair growth, strengthening hair follicles and reducing hair loss. Its effectiveness is undeniable, however the only definitive solution against hair loss remains to date hair transplantation.
Minoxidil is applied topically to the areas of thinning. It is the most widely used drug treatment worldwide. It is at the top of the preferences of Greeks. It can be in the form of lotions or injections. Injections are made with mesotherapy by medical personel, which increases blood supply and oxygenation of the problem area, enhancing hair follicle nourishment and inducing tissue regeneration. New hairs have more volume, strength and density.
Topical minoxidil is divided into 2% and 5%. 5% minoxidil takes longer to dry than 2% minoxidil. There are also densities of 7% up to 10% but the most widely used are the 2% and 5% densities.
Everything you need to know about minoxidil
- Minoxidil is given topically twice a day.
- An initial improvement is seen in the first six months. However, it is not enough to cover the problem.
- In the first few months of the treatments there is normally increased hair fall.
- Application of the drug on the problem area – hair and not on the skin.
- Apply the medicine by massaging the area locally.
- Absorption of minoxidil requires at least 4 hours. In the meantime, you should avoid shampooing and swimming.
- The application of the drug should be done on dry skin.
- Application of the drug should be done daily for several years.
- The application of the drug is easy, quickly absorbed, and can be used in combination with other hair styling products.
- It leads to the creation of new hair, maintenance and strengthening of existing hair.
- It helps the hair to get the nutrients it needs.
- The new hair can be thinner and shorter than the hair that existed before.
- Over the years, the action of minoxidil gradually decreases and so over a period of more than 2 years it does not offer any effect.
- If treatment is discontinued, the scalp returns to its original condition.